In this article you will learn how to create and manage Roles. In Assignar a Role is the type of work that a user can perform. For example a Role could be something like Laborer, this role would only contain people as no equipment is required. However a Role could also be something like Excavation Level 2. In this case the Role will have designated users that can Operate an excavator as well as the equipment you own that is capable of performing Excavation Level 2 work. Ultimately, when you schedule work you will create a resource plan based on the scope of work. Having users and equipment tied to Roles will make the task of scheduling fast, easy and accurate! Keep reading to learn how to create roles.
Adding a New Role
There are 2 ways to add roles in the Assignar Web Application.
First is during the process of importing Fieldworkers or Equipment using our Assisted Data Import tool. When uploading both Fieldworkers and Equipment you can add a column for Roles. Because some workers and equipment are capable of performing more than one type of job this field will accept 1 or many roles. If you choose to upload multiple roles make sure that you have the roles separated by commas. When you create roles this way, Fieldworkers and Equipment will automatically be added to the Roles.
You can also create Roles in the Assignar Web Application. To get started click the Resources option in the left side navigation and then click Roles. You will be brought to the Roles list page where you can view/edit any existing roles by clicking on the Role Name, as well as add a new Role.
Next, click on the + Add New button and a form will appear where you can enter all the details for the Role. Read below for a description of all settings on the new Role form.
- Role Name - This is how your role will be identified outside of this page so make it specific to your business based on how you schedule and organize resources. (Required)
- Workers & Equipment - Toggle between the Workers and Equipment tabs to add resources to the role.
- On the equipment tab if you check "Equipment needed" users will be prompted to add equipment when scheduling this role, if you add equipment to this role those specific assets will be recommended.
- Skills - If you want to use skills to ensure that only compliant workers are recommended when scheduling a role, add those skills here. Additionally skills can be added directly to equipment if you have complex skill based scheduling requirements.
- Role Forms - If forms are added here they will be automatically added to a work assignment for each user when this role is scheduled.
- Docket Templates - If a docket template is added here it will be made available to users with this role as it may be specific to the type of work that they do.
- External ID - If you need to sync this work type to a payroll system or financial application add the ID used in that system here to make data download and upload easier.
- Code - An Account Code for applying costs correctly in your ERP or bookkeeping tool.
Tab over to equipment to enable equipment scheduling.
After following these steps you will be able to create a Work Order with this role and the workers and equipment will be recommended during the scheduling process if these resources are available.
While not required for most of our customers, if you would like to learn about more advanced Role features such as Skill Based Roles, Role Charge Rates and Role Pay Rates please read our documentation to learn more.
Now that we have successfully created a Role, let's make sure we have Activities (Cost Codes) available so that Fieldworker users can appropriately code their time and keep your project on Budget.